About me

Friday, September 14, 2012

Type 2,diabetes




Type 2,diabetes the pancreas progressively makes less and less insulin or the body has difficulty using it. Carbohydrate-rich foods, which break down into glucose during digestion, are of principal concern in a diabetic's diet. carbs are not the enemy or the only factor. "What matters most is how much people eat," blood glucose levels can decrease, If you cut back on total daily calories. But there are some food that must be removed. 2 table spoons full of sweet potato drastically increased My husbands glucose level. small amounts of watermelon is ok. But too much had drastic affects on him. Choose nutritional, slow carbohydrates (veggies, whole grains) over fast carbohydrates. (sugars, refined grains), 30 to 60 grams of carbohydrates per meal, and 15 to 30 grams per snack

 I have been told weight loss can help significantly. And may take away the threat of diabetic. I have seen many juice diets online, claim complete recovery. And many other health benefits. But all of them go to a vegan life stile. The glycemic index, is the measurement of how fast a food causes a person's blood glucose levels to rise within two hours

3 comments:

Zaroga said...

I did not know you had this blog.

I have to disagree with you on the sweet potato. They can actually help lower blood sugar because they are packed with fiber. There may be a temporary spike right after eating. They should be the only carb consumed at the meal... no bread... no rice, etc.

Baked with skin is probably best way to eat sweet potatoes... the skin holds a lot of vitamins and other nutrients. I like to cut sweet potatoes into wedges.. I look for small sweet potatoes about the size of white potatoes that come in 5lb bags and coat them with a small amount of canola oil and season with black ground/cracked pepper and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. Cinnamon can lower blood sugar. I bake at 425° oven... time varies by the size of the wedges. I do not cut them huge. I also use the convection/speed bake on my oven. I don't preheat and they are usually done by time the oven has dinged that it is preheated.

Planning meals for a diabetic is hard and my hubby is responsible for what he eats.. and he snacks on too many carbs. I would not have the cheese nips and such in the house, but he does most of the shopping nowadays. When his blood sugar goes up he stops them for a bit. He lives with his choices and so do I.

Grammy said...

Thanks Zaroga,
What you said is the reason I tried the sweet potato on him. But for some reason his reaction was not the same. His reading went up to the highest ever. So in his body turned it right into sugar. White potatoes do not do this to him. The white ones do put him at 187 but sweet 260. So I am though trial an error learning what each food will do to him.

Vetirmagal said...

I had seen posts encouraging Diabetics to go ahead and enjoy sweet potato once in a while.I tried it once and it was not adverse.

Your recipe looks very easy to make.

In India, we have many dishes of sweet potato which are lip smacking, and are spicy too. In fact , we tried to smother down the sweetness in many dishes by adding sourness:-)